Back To Previous
Butterflies & Moths
- A description of this resource and the information it contains
- Photo Thumbnails
- Identify a butterfly by navigating through thumbnails of all of our photos
- Checklists of all species reported in a particular county (U.S.) or state (northern Mexico)
- Distribution Maps
- Great Plains
- Colorado -- Iowa -- Kansas -- Minnesota -- Missouri -- Montana -- North Dakota -- Nebraska -- Oklahoma -- New Mexico -- South Dakota -- Texas -- Wyoming
- East of Great Plains
- Alabama -- Arkansas -- Connecticut -- Delaware -- Florida -- Georgia -- Illinois --
Indiana -- Kentucky -- Louisiana -- Maine -- Maryland -- Massachusetts -- Michigan -- Mississippi -- New Hampshire -- New Jersey-- New York -- North Carolina -- Ohio -- Pennsylvania -- Rhode Island -- South Carolina -- Tennessee -- Vermont -- Virginia -- Wisconsin -- West Virginia
- West of Great Plains
- Alaska -- Arizona -- California -- Hawaii -- Idaho -- Nevada -- Oregon -- Utah -- Washington
- Northern Mexico
- State Coordinators
- Who to contact to verify new county records in your state
- Individuals and organizations who have contributed photos for this project and helped compile distribution records
- Publications used to compile distribution records and aid in the construction of this resource, as well as those with general information about moths and butterflies
This resource is based on the following sources:
Opler, Paul A. 1995. Lepidoptera of North America: 2. Distribution of the
butterflies (Papilionoidea and Hesperioides) of the eastern United States.
Contributions of the C.P. Gillette Museum of Insect Biodiversity.
Colorado State University, Fort Collins, Colo. Unpaginated.
Pavulaan, Harry and Paul A. Opler. 1995. Atlas of eastern butterflies.
Stanford, Ray E. and Paul A. Opler. 1993. Atlas of western USA butterflies,
including adjacent parts of Canada and Mexico. Published by authors.
Denver, Colorado. 275pp.
This resource should be cited as:
Opler, Paul A., Harry Pavulaan, and Ray E. Stanford (coordinators).
1995. Butterflies of North America. Jamestown, ND: Northern
Prairie Wildlife Research Center Home Page.
Disclaimer: Maps shown on this Web site were created initially by manually coding maps in the original publications and creating new maps from those data. The new maps were checked for errors, but there is a possibility that some errors remain. Current maps may also reflect new county records that have been established since the date of publication. Users of this Web site need to understand that data are more complete for some species and counties than others. Absence of a county record for a particular species may mean that 1) the species does not occur there, 2) the species is present but has not been detected and reported yet, or 3) a county record exists but has not yet been added to our database.
Return to Butterflies of North America main page
The Registry of Nature Habitats